Sun Kissed Days

Sun Kissed Days

Monday, December 13, 2010

A Moment

It was a dark, chilly night. We climbed into bed and hid under the covers getting ready to read. We were still on the early chapters of the book we were reading. Sadly the mother of three sons dies in a car accident. As we resumed our reading the father was giving all her belongings away. One of his sons voiced his outrage and he grabbed his mothers picture. He told his father that the picture is his and he can't take it away from him. At this point Daniel became visibly upset. He covered his head with the quilt, "I hate this book and I don't want to read it anymore." I sat for a moment and said, "but Daniel things like this happen, I am sorry." I peeked under the blanket and Daniel's eyes were saturated with tears that he was trying to hold back. My sweet boy was sad. I surrendered, "we don't have to continue". This was a first for us, we always devour the books we read. I was wondering if he was upset about the mother passing away or if  he was upset because he identified with the son? I decided not to discuss it further. I decided to shelter him from the pain. At that same moment my thoughts drifted to Elizabeth Edwards and her brave children. Mourning is a wound so deep. I felt a deep sadness for all three children that will forever miss their mom. I held Daniel a little tighter. He is a sensitive boy and he feels empathy for others. I couldn't help but feel proud that life touches him that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment